Friday, April 22, 2011

Hong Ji Herbs Bak Kue Teh @ Marsiling Court

22th April 2011


First Impression:As I approached the cofee shop, the first thing that caught my attention was the number of people eating food from the Bak Kue Teh stall although there are a few other stalls selling other kind of food there. Secondly, the other thing that caught my attention was a signboard in the left hand side of the stall, prominently displaying the amount of recognition given by our local media and magazines. That usually means the food must be good.

Ordering of food:The order of the food and delivery of the order was fast and swift. Food served in a claypot reminds me of the nice bak kue teh I had in Klang,Malaysia. The visual aspect is also good, with leafy vegetables lining the top of the claypot.



Taste:Honestly, the taste was not as good as what I thought it was. In fact, I find it disappointing. Though it is supposed to be made with herbs, I seriously cannot taste any herb inside the soup. A check with my fellow diners also confirm that there was nothing wrong with my taste bud. Instead, I tasted more of the liver and pork taste inside the soup. The pork rib is fresh but tough. It was not tender enough to melt in your mouth. Quite a fair bit of chewing is required. The only reason I can think of is because the pork ribs are not left to simmer in the soup. Or rather, they were left dry in a bowl. Only upon an order is placed, they will place the pork ribs inside the claypot and then heat it up before serving. The trotter in black sauce taste better, but a bit too 'oily' for my liking. The skin was too thick and not much meat. Maybe because I still prefer pig trotters served as a whole.

Verdict:
I will never go back again. I find it really over-rated. Maybe because their business is really good, quality has been compromised. But if one is not too bothered with the missing herbal taste, then they may find this good enough for their consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment